Presentation checklist to provide focus for your presentation ideas
Use this simple presentation checklist to review your presentation ideas and ensure you know how to present to get your key messages received and understood.
Do you know the answer to these presentation questions:
What is the
purpose of your presentation?
Who are your
- What is in it for your audience?
In preparing your presentation have you:
Written a key
3 key points you really want your audience to remember
facts or data
opportunities to engage your audience
style – formal, relaxed, humorous
curse of knowledge – Remember less is more
Developed a storyboard
for a smooth continuous flow
Planned your opening
strategy to capture interest quickly
Easy to read,
key point notes?
Planned how you
will manage to finish on time having allowed time for questions
possible questions you might be asked
Delivered it to
at least 2 others and got feedback before the actual presentation
When preparing your presentation visuals have you:
Used big enough fonts?
- Used headlines instead of titles
- Ensured images are good resolution and suitably cropped
- Permission to use images
- Emphasised key points with call outs and highlights or zooms
- Built visuals to support your key points
- Kept any media clips short
When presenting do you intend to:
- Face your audience – give some attention to everyone in the room
- Lean slightly forward on the balls of your toes
- Speak smoothly – not too fast or too slow
- Vocally emphasise key points with pace changes, volume changes and appropriate modulation
- Use open palm gestures
- Stand tall
- Empty your pockets
- Move with purpose
- Summarise your main key points
- Listen carefully to questions and repeat to make sure everyone hears
- Check that questions have been answered satisfactorily
- Dress appropriately for the event
- Avoid reading directly from notes or slides
- Link your close to the purpose of your presentation
To help manage nerves ensure:
Your self-talk is positive
- You are imagining the presentation going well
- You maintain eye contact with your audience
- You take 3 deep breaths
- You remember to keep breathing
- You gently bite your tongue if your mouth feels dry
- You look happy to be there
- You focus attention on your audience, rather than yourself
- You avoid apologising for being
nervous/new at this
After the presentation ask yourself:
- Are you still alive?
- Did you have fun?
- Do your audience now know your 3 key points?
- Did you enjoy the positive feedback ?
- Have you reviewed the actual presentation against this checklist?
- Did you capture learning points for the next time?
Are your presentation skills holding you back?